Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Freedom in Restraint

By: Dr. Jimmy Young

Psalm 119 has always been a favorite of mine, although it makes for a long read. So much of what is said in it goes contrary to a 21st century mindset.

For example, verses 43-45 talk of the psalmist’s love for and commitment to God’s “rules." People today hate rules. They see rules as the things that reign them in, limit their freedom, etc. For as everyone knows, if I am to be free, I must be free from all restraint.

Not according to the psalmist. In verse 45 he uses a Hebrew idiom speaking of his “walk(ing) in a wide place." What he has in mind is a place where he is free to move about, move side to side, as opposed to a narrow place where he has no options but the straight and narrow. And do you see what set him free? Rules! God’s rules!

The freest life is one lived according to rules God has given. In fact, one of the surest evidences that I belong to this God is that I have come to see the wisdom and kindness of God’s rules; that they are not given to restrict me. Just the opposite: They set me free.

Anyone knows that if I eat as much as I want of anything I want, I will soon pay a price physically. To have the joy and freedom of health, I must impose some rules on myself. For us Christians, God has done that with our great interest at heart. The freest life is the one lived saying with the psalmist, “my hope is in your rules.”