Thursday, June 17, 2010

Americans In Need

By Johnathan Todd

  • You are impoverished; you are lacking; you have great needs.
  • Your impoverishment isn’t for things; your lacking doesn’t involve food choices; your great needs don’t entail opportunities.
  • Your need is for faith – faith in the sovereign power of God; faith in the care of our Heavenly Father; faith in the promises of God.

This past Sunday, Gabor Gresz (from Hungary) shared in two adult classes the story of God’s sovereign power at work in Hungary over the past 20 years. As I listened to the story, I found myself connecting the current Hungarian events with the stories of the Old Testament where God moves the heart of a king and orchestrates unbelievable events to save His people. I found my faith strengthened. I found myself encouraged. I found myself hopeful.

Gabor identified these three points:
  • God answers prayers.
  • God does the impossible.
  • God uses nobodies.

One story involves a recent opportunity to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. Gabor and his team have developed a curriculum used in schools all over Hungary called YTL – Youth on the Threshold of Life. This curriculum addresses social ills from a Biblical perspective and articulates the gospel of Jesus. A Presbyterian pastor altered the format of the curriculum into a video exhibition for students and eventually, the entire Presbyterian Church decided to hold these exhibitions. The Hungarian police, who arrested Gabor years back for sharing the gospel, decided to sponsor and promote the exhibitions and school officials decided to make participation in the exhibit mandatory for all students. God answers prayersprayers for the nation of Hungary. God does the impossibleuses governmental agencies to advance the Great Commission. God uses nobodiesjust like you.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father." (John 14:12)

Visit their website here: http://www.advancingthekingdom.hu, and watch the video below, or by clicking here.