Monday, November 7, 2011

Your Private Life and the Watcher



I don’t know of a chapter in Scripture that is more moving to me than Daniel 4. The last verse sends chills up my spine. It, in one sense, is a very dark story. On the other hand, in no place do we find such an exalted statement about God as we find there (v. 34-35).

There are numerous lessons in this chapter, most of which are fairly obvious. I will draw your attention to only one. In verse 13 and then again in verse 23, there is the mention of a “watcher.” Did you know that there is a “watcher”? Did you realize that our choices, our behaviors, our “secret sins and misdeeds dark” are subject to the scrutiny of a “watcher”?

Did you think that what we choose to do in private is unseen? It isn’t!

I think it was Plato who said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” You may agree or disagree. But this much I know, the life of the Christian is lived before “the Watcher.” You think about that.