Friday, February 24, 2012

Obedience as Worship


By: Dr. Jimmy Young        

Blogging is not my “long suit.” I find it so strange to think that anyone really wants to read about my “cogitations.”  There are hundreds out there who are better thinkers than I.  So, read this with only one eye.  I had a thought that hopefully will be as helpful to you as it is to me.  

As some of you know, I am immersed in the subject of legalism.  I am teaching on that subject on Wednesday nights.  One topic that I often mention is obedience.  How can a subject like that become controversial?  It isn’t, unless one tries to attach some sort of merit to one’s obedience.  When that happens, you have fallen into the trap of legalism.  

Yet, obedience is very important.  So, here is my “insight”:  my obedience is a part of my worship, not a merit-producing act.  Jesus says as much in John 14:15:  “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”  My desire to obey is the outgrowth of my desire to express love.  Thus, my obedience is worship.  

Sanctification is the synergistic work between the Holy Spirit and me.  My heart is the problem and it will never be changed from the outside-in.  The Holy Spirit must do work that only He can do.  So, my obedience is not my effort at changing me.  It is my feeble attempt at worship.  When I obey, I’m not earning anything.  I am simply saying, as best I can, "I love You, Lord."