Friday, July 10, 2009

On Michael Jackson & Fatherhood

By: Russell Jeffares

Many people in the media and otherwise are acclaiming the greatness of Michael Jackson. Indeed he was a very talented artist. But I do not think we should be celebrating his life. I believe it was a modern tragedy. On June 27, 2009, Geraldo Rivera interviewed Jackson's father, Joe Jackson. In his words we catch a glimpse into the life of Michael Jackson.
“We are going to miss the great superstar… the biggest, known in all the world. And it seems to me he is going to be more larger than he was when he was alive.”
When I heard these words, I was struck by what was not said. Notice that there is no mention of missing Michael, his son. He says, “We are going to miss the great superstar …” I believe this is very telling of the relationship Michael had with his father. So when we remember Michael’s life of fame, riches, exorbitant waste, alleged improprieties, confused racial and gender identities, excessive drug use, and untimely death, we should not be surprised at all. Michael Jackson had been made into a product, a “superstar,” by his own father.

One thing I think I learn from this as a father: My role of a father has huge implications in the lives of my sons. My sons need to know that I am here no matter what, and that I love them unconditionally. I must always be vigilant against the temptation to minimize that relationship. Even worse is the temptation to find your own self-worth, reputation, or reciprocated love from your children. This is, in fact, turning them into a product through which I gain—though packaged in a much subtler form.

Our children are an immeasurable gift from God, and parenting them is quite a high calling. May we model our Father’s love to them, rather than using them for personal gain.