Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Don't Want My Kids to Be Happy

By: Johnny Coggin

If the title of this article alarms you, join the club. I was recently linked to this article written by a mom of several young children, and that was the title. And yes, it bothered me a little. I didn't say this, but something in me felt: "Why would anyone say such a thing?"

After reading her post, I know exactly what she meant, and I feel exactly the same way.

She's writing it to her 4 kids about their plans to adopt a child from Ethiopia. Here's part of her lead-in:

Recently we were told by people whom we love and respect why they oppose our plans to adopt. One of the reasons given was that we would not be able to pay for your college education.

It's true.

You all have college funds - college funds which recently took a terrible hit - but "they" say that by the time you're 18, college will cost anywhere between $200,000 to half a million dollars each. You might as well know now, we won't be covering that. I'm telling you now, babies.

Why would parents sacrifice their kids' college funds in order to adopt, you ask?

...several years I saw a story on a TV show about how the latest trend was for parents to give their daughters boob jobs for high school graduation (I don't know what they gave their sons). When interviewing one of the moms, she said, "I just want my daughter to be happy." And as I tossed a throw pillow at the television, this really huge thought occurred to me: I don't want my children to be happy.

Now you're thinking she has lost it, right? Understandable. But read the rest of the story. Then try telling me this young mother isn't parenting with a biblical worldview, a heart for Jesus, and deep love for her kids.

The world thinks she is doing it all wrong. So do many Christians, I'm sure.

May we at Grace Evan be so bold in our counter-culturedness, as our priorities become radically shaped by the Gospel.