Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What Debt Do You Owe?


At the end of each month we all participate in what seems to be an unrelenting ritual: paying the bills. Now some of you may pay at the first of the month and some pay partial throughout the month, but we all OWE something to somebody!

It reminds me of the enormous thrill, the excitement and joy I had when I finally paid off my last car note! It was as if I had a large boulder taken off my back; extra money in my pocket to burn (or to save)… a burden was released! I no longer owed this money. My debt was paid... in full.

I think you now know where I am going with this. At least I sure hope you do!

It brings a smile on my face and peace to my heart knowing that my debt (MY sin) has been paid IN FULL by the only means in Christ Jesus! HE paid it all on the cross. Not just a few sins but all of my sins, mine and yours if you are a believer.

So, what debt do you owe? Who are you obligated to? We are only obligated to Christ because he took the punishment we deserve for our sin. Although we cannot repay Christ for all he has done, we can demonstrate our gratitude by showing his love to others. “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law” (Romans 13:8).

Isaac Watts understood this debt we could not repay when he wrote the song, “Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed":
But drops of grief can ne’er repay
the debt of love I owe;
here, Lord, I give myself away,
‘tis all that I can do.
I still have a few bills to pay every month. I am ok with that. But the biggest bill of all, my biggest debt has already been paid by my heavenly Father! I have been released from the burden, saved by the Lamb and proclaimed by Christ. I am so thankful for that … ‘tis all that I can do.