Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Commitment Move


Isaiah 41:10:
Fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

In climbing there is a move one is occasionally required to execute known as the “commitment move.” You are harnessed into a rope which is securely anchored to a strong, trustworthy object. In order to make your next upward move you must commit by letting go of the safe place you’re at and leaping toward the next hand-hold. At that moment there is no turning back and you must fully trust the anchor you’re clipped into… and not trust your feelings of fear.

Life is full of commitment moves.

There are times in the Christian walk when you are faced with a difficult decision and you find yourself asking, “Is God really there? Is his Word really true?” or stating, “I don’t hear him… I don’t feel his presence.” Yet, you do know him. You know that he has always been faithful. You know that he has never forsaken you. So you take that leap of faith, clinging to what you know is true, knowing that God will strengthen you, he will help you, and he will hold you with his righteous right hand.