Friday, July 22, 2011

Providence?


To be honest, I do not feel you can fully explain God's providence in a short post, but I will offer a few thoughts. Providence is something I’ve been reading about, and isn’t it funny that when you start studying something it seems to pop up all over the place?

Like last night. Andy and I were reading Proverbs 21 and the first verse says, “The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.”

Doesn’t this suggest that the Lord guides our hearts? I remember being terrified in college, thinking, “what if I make the wrong decision? What if I don’t choose what the Lord REALLY wants me to do?” I remember Les Newsom telling me, “The Lord wants you to serve Him. You can’t step out of His will. Obey Him. Now make a decision and get going.” This provided quite a bit of comfort. And now as I get older, I get it more and more. There is much kingdom work to be done. Decide on something to help push back the curse and get going.

As Dr. Young has been telling us in his recent sermons on Genesis 3, Satan is doing everything he can to cause us to doubt God’s goodness. And it is very hard to trust that God has a plan when things are hard and feel like they are falling apart all around us. I am reminded of Joseph. Think about all the pain and suffering he went through. And yet, we read in Genesis 50:19-20: “But Joseph said to them, 'Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.' ”

Wherever you are today, remember that God is in control. He has a plan. And no one, nor anything, can thwart this plan. Not even us.