Thursday, April 26, 2012

Feed Your Soul


Erin Pearce      

I'm learning more and more, the older I get, what a ministry music is to my soul. I remember in college days getting my very 1st RUF CD (Reformed University Fellowship) that had many of the hymns and songs that we sang in large group. As I would drive around, I remember just listening and meditating on the powerful, truthful words, and then Scripture would come to mind that would remind me of and confirm these truths. Music was such a blessing to my soul, as I was constantly singing these truths alone in my car on days that I was struggling, doubting, fearing, repenting, confessing, rejoicing, praising. Through all kinds of myriads of emotion, these songs would help me cling to the truth when I was having a hard time seeing straight.  Even this morning as I was worrying about my grandmother who is in the ICU and several other people in my life that have had really bad turns in life recently, I heard this song playing as I was putting on my make-up:

Abide With Me by Henry Lyte
Abide with me; falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers, fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, abide with me. 
Thou on my head, in early youth didst smile;
And, though rebellious, and perverse meanwhile,
Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee,
On to the close Lord, abide with me. 
I need Thy presence, every passing hour.
What but Thy grace, can foil the tempter’s power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, abide with me. 
I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless
Ills have no weight, tears lose their bitterness
Where is thy sting death? Where grave thy victory?
I triumph still, abide with me. 
Hold Thou Thy cross, before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies.
Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, Lord, abide with me. 

I was reminded yet again that our Lord is faithful even when we are not. That He is with us when help and comfort flee. He is our constant stronghold who cannot be moved when things seem to be falling apart around us. My soul was encouraged by these truths, and I hope yours is too.