Monday, June 8, 2009

Be Still and Know

By: Johnathan Todd

When I was a child, my favorite summertime activity was playing outside as long as possible. As an adult, my favorite summertime activity is to sit on my front yard bench as the sun is setting while my children are playing outside.

This past Monday evening I was enjoying my bench when I experienced one of those “Be Still and Know” moments. The hot afternoon was fading into the comfortable evening when I looked up and saw the moon. As I gazed at its features, the thought swept through my mind of God having created the moon, the earth, and all that is in it. The seasons, the rotation of the earth, the phases of the moon – all these and more continue because my Lord has ordered it to be so!

I felt small and insignificant, yet reassured that this same Lord was my Lord. He not only knows every feature of this giant rock millions of miles away reflecting light to the earth, but he also knows the very hairs on my head. He knew me before I was born and he knows all the days of my future.

I thoroughly enjoy such moments - when joy reigns and all seems ordered and correct - yet they are so fleeting and isolated. Just moments later the drive to "get up and do" conquered the moment. I recall the moment, but am unable to recall what I left that moment to go and do.

Was it important? Was it eternal? Why do I choose to live in such a way that restricts those moments? Seems pretty stupid.

Here is the Psalm where we find the command to "be still and know":

Psalm 46
God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

Come, behold the works of the Lord,
how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the chariots with fire.
“Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah