Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Song of the Week (06.17.09)

By: Johnny Coggin

Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me. I know better, but my brain succumbs to the modern Western brainwashed ideal that God really wants me to have a smooth ride, all the time, no matter what, and any bumps in the road must be "outside of his will" somehow. What a load.

But when you're used to having it so good (as, relatively speaking, most of us do), and then the economy crumbles, jobs are lost, marriage is hard, and the kids grieve you (or just drive you mad!), it's easy to grumble. In fact, it's hard not to.

But what does that say about our hearts? Or should I say, what does it reveal about what we treasure most? It's called idolatry.

Idolatry often looks like this: Loving the gifts more than the Giver.
And so I may be happy when things go well and God pours out blessings in my life... but then gripe to him when things go sour for a season, uncovering the lesser "gods" my heart is really after. (by the way, check out Job's wise response to pain and suffering.)

This week's "Song of the Week" gets the attitude right. It's another great song from Sovereign Grace Music called, "As Long As You Are Glorified" (click to hear a sample - it's track 3). I sang this song at Grace Evan on the last Sunday morning of 2008. Thankfully, their recording is much better. Oh, to have the mindset of these lyrics emblazoned on our hearts and minds!

*Do yourself a favor: Read the lyrics, and make them your prayer today, tomorrow, every day.

(available to purchase from iTunes or directly from Sovereign Grace)

As Long As You Are Glorified
by Mark Altrogge

Shall I take from Your hand Your blessings
Yet not welcome any pain
Shall I thank You for days of sunshine
Yet grumble in days of rain

Shall I love You in times of plenty
Then leave You in days of drought
Shall I trust when I reap a harvest
But when winter winds blow, then doubt

Oh let Your will be done in me
In Your love I will abide
Oh I long for nothing else as long as You are glorified

Are You good only when I prosper
And true only when I’m filled
Are You King only when I’m carefree
And God only when I’m well

You are good when I’m poor and needy
You are true when I’m parched and dry
You still reign in the deepest valley
You’re still God in the darkest night

Oh let Your will be done in me
In Your love I will abide
Oh I long for nothing else as long as You are glorified

So quiet my restless heart, quiet my restless heart
Quiet my restless heart in You

Oh let Your will be done in me
In Your love I will abide
Oh I long for nothing else as long as You are glorified