Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Song of the Week (06.03.09)

By: Johnny Coggin

This week's "Song of the Week" comes from Indelible Grace, a ministry of Christ Community Church in Franklin, TN that's closely tied to RUF ministries. We sing some of their songs in our worship times here at Grace Evan ("Arise, My Soul, Arise" is one example that comes to mind). If you're not familiar with them, here's a brief description of their mission:
Our hope is to help the church recover the tradition of putting old hymns to new music for each generation, and to enrich our worship with a huge view of God and His indelible grace.
They do a great job of it, and this week's featured song is no exception. It's called O Help My Unbelief (click, then click on track 2 on that page to hear the song).

Isaac Watts wrote the words, so you'd expect them to be stellar. How about this line, in response to our deep slavery to sin: But there's a voice of sov'reign grace, Sounds from the sacred word: "O, ye despairing sinners come, And trust upon the Lord."

Listen to the cool tune, but most importantly, drink in and pray the lyrics, and cry out to God, "Oh help my unbelief!"

O Help My Unbelief
Words: Isaac Watts // Music: Justin Smith

1. How sad our state by nature is!
Our sin, how deep it stains!
And Satan binds our captive minds
Fast in his slavish chains
But there's a voice of sov'reign grace,
Sounds from the sacred word:
"O, ye despairing sinners come,
And trust upon the Lord."

2. My soul obeys th' almighty call,
And runs to this relief
I would believe thy promise, Lord;
O help my unbelief!
To the dear fountain of thy blood,
Incarnate God, I fly;
Here let me wash my spotted soul,
From crimes of deepest dye.

3. Stretch out Thine arm, victorious King,
My reigning sins subdue;
Drive the old dragon from his seat,
With all his hellish crew.
A guilty, weak, and helpless worm,
On thy kind arms I fall;
Be thou my strength and righteousness,
My Jesus, and my all.

© 2007 Justin Smith Music

(This song and the full Wake Thy Slumbering Children album can be bought from iTunes or Amazon, as well as directly from Indelible Grace)