Friday, March 4, 2011

Are We Trusting In God?

By: Clay Younts

Out of my distress I called on the LORD; the LORD answered me and set me free. The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The LORD is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes. (Psalm 118: 5-9, ESV)

In his commentary on Psalm 118, James Boice gives us great insight on verses 8-9:

It is reported by people who count such things that there are 31,174 verses in the Bible, and if that is so, then these verses, the 15,587th and the 15,588th, are the middle verses.

So, right in the middle of the Bible, God tells us to trust Him.

Our world struggles with trusting the creator, for they are blinded to spiritual matters. For example, Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “All I have seen teaches me to trust the creator for all I have not seen.”

Believers in Christ can also struggle with trusting God, but we find refuge, strength, courage, and hope as we turn our eyes to Christ. May we be content in the arms of our Heavenly Father, for "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." (John Piper)