Monday, March 21, 2011

Personal Reflection on Psalm 19

By: Will Savell

In my personal reading for today, I was in Psalm 19. At the very end of this brief chapter is where David writes the famous words:

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight…” (Ps. 19:14)

Isn’t that a good prayer? I know this is something that I prayed just this morning.

Beside this sentence I wrote the word, “How?” and then drew a great big connecting line up to verses 7-9 where David seems to use the writing tool of parallelism. Take a look:

The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the LORD is sure,
making wise the simple;
the precepts of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the LORD is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
the fear of the LORD is clean,
enduring forever;
the rules of the LORD are true,
and righteous altogether.
A revived soul, wisdom, a heart that rejoices, enlightened eyes, eternity, and righteousness are all words that are pretty appealing.

There seems to be great benefit to what we know as God’s word. And it’s the meditation and dwelling on this word that will “let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight.