Friday, December 23, 2011

The Bone & Marrow of Biblical Worship

By: Dr. Jimmy Young       

I ran across a quote that I want to mention: “Strong affections for God rooted in truth are the bone and marrow of biblical worship.”  I couldn’t agree more.

Your church can’t do anything about people’s affections, but you should hold your church accountable for the way truth is offered and truth is handled.  All of life is theological and we get ourselves into messes because we have wacky views of God.  So, if you are being starved for truth, run. 

I love this story found in a Steve Brown book (No More Mr. Nice Guy, p.168):

Dr. Donald Grey Barnhouse, a former pastor of Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, offered a question and answer session on most Wednesday evenings.  One evening a woman raised her hand and said, "Dr. Barnhouse, I attend a church where the pastor doesn’t believe in the Virgin Birth or the Resurrection… What should I do?"  Those who were there said that Dr. Barnhouse took off his glasses and in total seriousness said, "Madam, you should pray that he die.”  

Call me what you will… I agree.