Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Stopped in My Tracks

By: Dr. Jimmy Young      

Guys, I’m a preacher.  I hope you’ve noticed.  As such, because I read a lot, I am often confronted with stuff that stops me in my tracks.  Here's one such quote:

"Their testimony and the fragrance of their lives comes down to this day.  Their pulpit oratory came from their hearts, and from the reality of living near to God.  They themselves loved the Savior whom they preached and hated the sin against which they warned.  Personal religion, with devotion to Scripture and to prayer occupied a great part of their lives.  Payson’s testimony is representative of them all:  'I was never fit to say a word to a sinner, except when I had a broken heart myself, when I was subdued and melted into penitence, and felt as though I had just received pardon to my own soul, and when my heart was full of tenderness and pity.'"

Sobering, huh?