Friday, January 6, 2012

Rivers of Comfort


By: Erin Pearce        

I think something I long for more than anything is peace. And that doesn't mean I want to be still and quiet all the time. It means, no matter what is going on, I just long to have that calmness of spirit. The other day I was reading a prayer in The Valley of Vision titled "Need of Jesus" and this is what i came across:

"Be my good shepherd to lead me into the green pastures of thy Word, and cause me to lie down beside the rivers of its comforts. Fill me with peace, that no disquieting worldly gales may ruffle the calm surface of my soul."

I feel like several things happened. I was encouraged because the times I am most at peace are when I am filling my soul with the truths of Scripture, the "rivers of comfort" as the Puritans say. But I also realized how undisciplined and selfish I am as I run around like a chicken with my head cut off most of the time. I am so thankful to be held in the palms of my Lord's hands, that are full of grace and mercy when I fail so many times. May we all strive to find this "calm surface of the soul in the rivers of comfort in the Word."