Wednesday, March 7, 2012

God Meant It For Good

By: Erin Pearce       

As I continue to read through Genesis, I am completely overwhelmed by the story of Joseph. So many things seem to go so wrong for him. His brothers plot to kill him, then decide to sell him as a slave. He was a slave, but was a successful man and Potiphar trusted him. Joseph then is seduced by Potiphar’s wife, but he is a righteous man and would have no part of it, so she accuses him of coming after her. So Joseph is thrown in prison, and well, the story goes on and on. (Gen 37-50)

In the end, God saves many people from a famine through Joseph. He also saves Joseph’s family, and Joseph forgives his brothers. Not only does he forgive them, he tells them that God had a plan all along.
"'Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones.' Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them."

I’m overwhelmed because I want to trust God so much more than I do --- to the point of looking at my life and knowing that the Lord has a plan for every step of the way, for me and everyone around me. Sometimes I think we try to skim over the "bad parts" of our stories, but we have to remember that the Lord was in control of those parts as well. The Lord is about redeeming His people. We must hold fast to the truth that one day all things will be made right. But until then, we must keep pressing forward, serving the Lord through every up and down we have. We won’t do it perfectly, and there is much grace for our failures. But I know I want to look more towards the sovereignty of God and know that His finger is upon me every step of the way. Even through the seemingly "bad times.”