Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Song of the Week (05.06.09)

By: Johnny Coggin

If you worshipped with us at Grace Evan this past Sunday, you heard our own Casey Rowland sing a uniquely stirring version of the beloved hymn, "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus." The band sounded great, Casey sang beautifully, and best of all, the gospel was faithfully proclaimed through this classic Christian anthem.

A number of people have since asked me something like, "How did you guys come up with that version? It was really cool/worshipful/beautiful." And as much as I hate to reveal "the tricks of the trade," I think it's worth it in this case.

This version of "Nothing but the Blood" came from a just-released collection of classic hymns - recorded with a fresh, modern feel - by a project called Page CXVI. According to their website:
Page CXVI is a project started with the idea of making hymns accessible and known again. They are some of the richest, most meaningful, and moving pieces of music ever written.
From their site, you can buy a CD or download the 7 hymns (including Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, and In Christ Alone). And obviously, I'm recommending that you do so.

And of course, here are the lyrics to "Nothing but the Blood":
Nothing but the Blood of Jesus
(by Robert Lowry, arranged by Page CXVI)

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Nothing can for sin atone,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
Naught of good that I have done,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

This is all my hope and peace,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
This is all my righteousness,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.