Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Song of the Week (05.20.09)

By: Johnny Coggin

As parents to a 21-month old, Lindsay and I have quickly realized that our little bundle of joy is a total sponge for words and behavior. She observes and then copies our physical mannerisms. She soaks up and repeats back to us everything she hears. It's astounding and - to be honest - pretty hilarious. (Like the time I said, "Oh snap!" and she replied, "snaaaAAP." Priceless.)

With all this sponginess, we're already thinking about how to teach her the truth of the gospel and God's word, even at 21 months. While we constantly sing goofy little songs from her favorite movie (Mary Poppins), we also sing songs like, "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus." Because it's top priority that our sweet baby girl hears and (Lord willing) absorbs the gospel of grace, starting even now.

And what better way to plant those seeds than catchy music?

That's the idea behind Sovereign Grace Music's kids project called Awesome God - twelve songs that teach (via fun music) God's attributes. (click the link to find out more and hear samples)

One of my favorites is "Mighty Mighty Savior" (track 6), which is this week's Song of the Week.

"Mighty Mighty Savior" is jam-packed with the gospel message - my sin, God's holiness, the cross and resurrection, and God's power to save and restore. It's like a message directly from Romans, but in language a kid can understand, and with a super fun, catchy tune.

*As a parent, wouldn't it be a joy to hear your kids walking around the house singing these words?:
Mighty Mighty Savior by Mark Altrogge

No one is good
No one is holy before God
I need someone to cleanse me
No one is pure
No one is righteous in Your sight
I need someone to save me
But I’m so glad You died and rose again
For helpless sinners like me

What a mighty, mighty Savior You are
What a mighty, mighty Savior You are
You can wash away my sin
You can change my heart within
What a mighty, mighty Savior You are

Sin is too strong
For me to conquer on my own
I need someone to help me
I am too weak
I cannot change my evil heart
I need someone to save me
But I’m so glad You died and rose again
For helpless sinners like me

What a mighty, mighty Savior You are
What a mighty, mighty Savior You are
You can wash away my sin
You can change my heart within
What a mighty, mighty Savior You are

(You can buy this song, or the whole collection, on iTunes, Amazon, or directly from Sovereign Grace Music.)