Friday, September 25, 2009

Shots Hurt

By: Will Savell

I was able to sleep an extra hour this morning, and it was great! What wasn't so great was the reason I had for sleeping in. My daughter wasn't going to school - at least until mid-morning. She first had to visit her pediatrician for the annual flu shot.

My wife and I kept this small detail from her this past week because we knew what the reaction was going to be, and boy were we right. When we sprung the news on her this morning, the tears started to flow and they never stopped... no matter what sort of rational thought I laid before her. It's funny how that never works on a five year old girl.

When we arrived at the doctor's office she was somewhat subdued, yet still crying. But when the needle was revealed, she went crazy. The screams were ear piercing and nothing had even happened. Finally, the needle went in and came back out - the small hole to be quickly covered with a band aid.

Five minutes later we were in the Jeep on our way to McDonald's for a sausage biscuit. I have found that the teaching opportunities are endless while riding around in the Jeep. Emma looked at me, eyes still puffy and red, and asked, "Daddy, do all shots hurt?" And there was my moment...

"Yes Emma, all shots hurt. Some hurt worse than others, but it's never fun having a needle poked in your skin. But they only hurt for just a little while."

"But Daddy, why do we have to have shots?"

"You got that shot so you won't get sick. You see, a little pain now is much better than a lot of pain later. Do you understand?"

"Yes Daddy."

For the next few minutes I explained to her, in the best way that I could, a lasting truth about those things that seem so painful to those in Christ. I paraphrased Hebrews 12. For you, I'll give you some of the actual verses.

In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons...If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons...For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness...For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:4-11)

My daughter learned today that all shots hurt. Yet even though they hurt, and even among her tears, she can view them as something good.

For those found as a son or daughter of God, you'll go through His discipline. And just like a shot, it hurts and you might cry. But take heart, it's a good thing.