Friday, April 8, 2011

Prone To Leave The God I Love

By: Scott Elliott

The halls of Grace Evan are full of bouncing, screaming, energetic little souls. Not having any kids of my own, I pretty much scoop up many of your kids and treat them as if they were my own.

While playing with these little ones, I often reflect back on when I was just a youngster - the teachers I had at church and the lessons I learned at such an early age: Colossians 3:20, Matthew 7:7, and course Psalm 23.

Another verse that has been one of my lifetime staples is Proverbs 22:6:Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” I believe I had some pretty good teachers but I have to confess I am getting old and have had my moments of wandering away.

How about you? Whether you are in your 20’s, 50’s or even 70’s, have you found yourself at times wandering from "the way [you] should go"? It's not inevitable that every Christian will wander, but it is probable. As the old hymn says, “Prone to wander, Lord I feel it – Prone to leave the God I love.

So as we (or least I) get older, are we prone to wander from the things we were trained up to do? Or do we stand steadfast on the truths of the gospel? As for me, I will still have my wandering moments. The important thing is that, by God's grace, I don’t “depart from it”! (The truth of the gospel, that is.)

No matter how far or long you find yourself wandering (and you will), come back to Christ! Trust Christ! Delight in Christ! That’s where we are to “train up a child" to go – to Christ!