Monday, April 18, 2011

Will I Make It?

By: Erin Pearce

Today I am remembering some days in college. It wasn't hard for me to see my sin, because I came out of the gates rebelling any chance I got. I just wondered if I could ever change. I remember becoming a Christian and being very scared that I wouldn't be able to "make it" as a Christian. I just knew that somehow I would fail and turn back to everything that is worldly.

I will never forget meeting with Les Newsom as he shared with me the great truth of "perseverance of the saints." He told me, yes, you will always have to fight your sin. Some days sin will really get you good, and that is why we must learn to repent. However, if you are truly trusting in Jesus Christ, in the end the enemy cannot have you.

Louis Berkhof helpfully wrote,

"Perseverance may be defined as that continuous operation of the Holy Spirit in the believer, by which the work of divine grace that is begun in the heart is continued and brought to completion. It is because God never forsakes His work that believers continue to stand to the very end."

Jesus says,

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." (John 10:27-29)

You see, I thought that I had to persevere. But it is God who perseveres us to the end.

I know that there will be hard days of much trial and tribulation - we are told that, and that there will also be very happy days. But no matter what emotion the day brings for those of us who are trusting in Jesus Christ, we can rest assured that we will make it, because Jesus has us and will never let go.