Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fast & Slow



…my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger… - James 1:19
"Two ears are given to us, the rabbis observe, but only one tongue; the ears are open and exposed, whereas the tongue is walled in behind the teeth."

One of the things I love about Grace Evan is the privilege of working with people who inspire me. Here are a couple of examples…

Last week, Chris Leuck told me about a recent conversation. A
couple of minutes into the account he calmly said the person had “actually kinda irritated” him but that “just this morning” he’d read in 1 Timothy 5 about being respectful toward those who are older. Chris had been “quick to hear” Paul’s exhortation to young men. God’s Word had made an impression on him. This in turn made an impression on me. I was impressed with his restraint and respect—even when his toes had been stepped on.

Later that day, Johnny Coggin related a conversation in which somebody had come across as impatient and somewhat pushy. He wondered if his being much younger than that person had had something to do with it. I was impressed with the way he responded. Patient. Gentle. Self-controlled.

These guys weren’t ranting or blowing off steam. They’d both kept their cool during conversations that had pressed into their comfort zones. I revisited these interactions with both of them before writing this. The conversations they’d had weren’t easy for them. It wasn’t a case of “no big deal.” They’d been provoked but they were quick to hear and slow to anger rather than the other way round.

I admire this ability to stay cool when the heat’s on. I was impressed that they both chose a calm response rather than yield to the natural reaction to “give it right back” when they were with someone whose composure was leaking. I’m glad I get to work with guys with character like this.

When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. - Proverbs 10:19

Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly. - Proverbs 14:29

A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention. - Proverbs 15:18

Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. - Proverbs 17:27