Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Song of the Week (04.22.09)

By: Johnny Coggin

I hear a lot of music – good music and not-so-good music. Not surprisingly, a lot of the good music I hear isn’t exactly God-honoring in its message. In fact, even some so-called Christian music (including worship music!) tends to be God-belittling, or just plain unbiblical (and no, I’m not naming names... this time).

So I get pretty excited when somebody gets it right – weaving great music with poetic, soul-gripping, scripture-soaked, gospel-rich, Christ-exalting words. And thankfully, there’s plenty of this kind of music out there.

So I’d like to share some with you. Each week (Lord willing) I’ll be posting a Song of the Week. I’ll include the lyrics and, if available, a link to where you can preview or purchase the song.

My main goal is to give you rich truths to sing and to hang onto during the week, truths that resonate in your soul and increase your joy in Jesus.

With that explained, here’s the very first Song of the Week: It's called, O Great God, and is based on a Puritan prayer called Regeneration, from The Valley of Vision. It’s written by Bob Kauflin of Sovereign Grace Music, who you unknowingly know if you worship at Grace Evan, because you’ve sung his song, Grace Unmeasured.

*3 suggestions:
(1) Read it slowly.
(2) Notice the high view of God and his work in us, and the humble view of self.
(3) Pray it yourself.

O Great God
From the Sovereign Grace Music album, Valley of Vision

O great God of highest heaven
Occupy my lowly heart
Own it all and reign supreme
Conquer every rebel power
Let no vice or sin remain
That resists Your holy war
You have loved and purchased me
Make me Yours forevermore

I was blinded by my sin
Had no ears to hear Your voice
Did not know Your love within
Had no taste for heaven’s joys
Then Your Spirit gave me life
Opened up Your Word to me
Through the gospel of Your Son
Gave me endless hope and peace

Help me now to live a life
That’s dependent on Your grace
Keep my heart and guard my soul
From the evils that I face
You are worthy to be praised
With my every thought and deed
O great God of highest heaven
Glorify Your Name through me